Garden Tools are a gardener’s best friend – and top of the list come your trusty hand tools, pressed into daily service for everything from pruning to digging to sowing to weeding. Ransoms Garden Centre is the expert on Garden Tools in Jersey
In our garden centre you’ll find the basic kit for starting out: border spades and forks to turn your soil, hand tools for close-up weeding and secateurs for pruning, trimming and dead-heading.
For trickier jobs there’s a huge variety of more specialist tools in our garden centre. We have hoes to suit every purpose, whether it’s earthing up potatoes or more delicate weeding; and our range of rakes make short work of levelling seedbeds, collecting autumn leaves or clearing up debris.
Pruning tools are an essential part of a gardener’s armory: in our garden centre you’ll find loppers for thicker branches or if you’re really getting stuck in, pruning saws and bowsaws for the big jobs. Plus we have specialist weeding tools for winkling weeds out of the toughest corners; garden knives for everything from cutting string to taking cuttings; and everything you could need by way of dibbers, brooms and bulb planters.
Special tools for the specialist gardener
Pick the right tool for the right job, and you’ll find things magically become easier. Specialist garden tools have been designed for every gardening task, and if you invest in the tool that’s made for the activity you have planned, work becomes a pleasure.
Here are just some of the specialist gardening tools you can find in our garden centre:
- Bulb planter: slice through the ground to remove a perfect cone of earth for planting your spring bulbs
- Dibber: use the tip for making indentations in compost for seeds, or go deeper for transplanting seedlings
- Edging knife: neaten up the tricky bits between flower border and lawn with an easy-to-use half moon edger
- Draw hoe: pull up earth around potatoes to protect from frost and encourage lots of tasty tubers
- Garden line: sowing in a straight line is a doddle when you mark out your drill with a simple garden line
- Pruning knife: sharp, efficient, and small enough to slip into your back pocket: essential kit at cuttings time
- Shears: specialist topiary shears clip tight corners, while general-purpose types keep hedges in good shape.
Must-have gardening tools
There’s a huge range of gardening tools nowadays – you’ll find most of them on display in our garden centre. Though they’re all great to have, there are some you’ll use every time you go in the garden. All these are available in our garden centre in Jersey.
- Digging spade: makes heavy-duty soil turning jobs easy. Lightweight, easy-clean stainless steel blades are best.
- Garden fork: great for digging stony soils, mixing in a layer of compost, or weeding larger areas.
- Hand trowel: essential for transplanting seedlings and planting bulbs: blades marked with measurements make judging planting distances easy
- Weeding fork: careful weeding among established plants needs an easy-to-manoeuvre hand fork.
- Secateurs: back-pocket essentials for all gardeners at pruning time, but also for dead-heading and taking cuttings
- Watering can: from one-litre seedling cans to 10-litre behemoths, a watering can makes sure plants never go short
- Wheelbarrow: the garden workhorse, whether you’re pruning roses, barrowing muck or clearing a patch of weeds
- Dutch hoe: hoe off weed seedlings once a week and you’ll always have a pristine plot
- Rake: use for raking spring seedbeds, levelling soil in summer, or gathering autumn leaves to make leaf mould soil conditioner.
Cutting edge Tools
Pruning is one of the most enjoyable jobs in the garden, whether you’re sorting out tangled climbing roses, thinning blackcurrants or removing damaged tree branches.
Using the right tools for each cut helps you work more efficiently and the plant stays healthy – ragged cuts invite infection to set in.
We have a wide range of pruning tools to choose from in our garden centre. Here’s what you need to get started:
- Secateurs: used for branches up to 2cm diameter. Bypass secateur blades cut like scissors and are handy in tight corners; anvil secateurs are useful for hard, woody stems.
- Loppers: for thicker branches, up to 5cm across. They’re like giant secateurs, some with extendable handles and ratchet actions for extra cutting power.
- Pruning saws: for medium-sized branches. Folding saws have hinged blades which pack away into the handle; larger fixed-handle blades eat through major jobs.
- Bow saws: for large tree work. Lightweight ‘D’ shaped saws with a hacksaw-type blade for tricky corners.
- Overhead pruners: when a branch is out of reach, this telescopic handle with both a lopper blade and pruning saw on the end is perfect.
Looking after your Lawn
The centrepiece of every well-kept garden, an emerald green lawn sets off your plants to perfection and gives you a beautiful, soft space to sit and soak up the atmosphere.
Keeping your lawn in tip-top condition is easy when you’ve got the right tools, and luckily we’ve got just what you need right here in our garden centre. Here are a few essentials to get you started:
Lawnmower: the number one requirement for trim lawns, choose a mower to fit your garden. Push mowers are practical and environmentally friendly for tiny lawns: electric or petrol make short work of anything larger.
Half-moon edger: straightforward and comfortable to use, the half-moon blade slices those hairy, overgrown edges into a crisp, pleasing finish
Wire rake: rake up autumn leaves to make leafmould, then give your lawn (and yourself!) a workout by scarifying – raking out the old thatch to let the grass breathe
Garden fork: perfect for aerating lawns, punching drainage holes through the surface to let water flow away from the surface and down to the roots where it’s needed.
Please ask the staff in our Jersey garden centre for more information about choosing the right garden tools in jersey.