We have an exciting opportunity for the right person to lead our Plant Area Team in helping and advising our Customers choose the right Plants, Buildings, Paving and Accessories for their gardens.
This is a full time permanent position based on a 37.5 hour week over 5 days. Applicants will have excellent plant and plant care knowledge as well as previous retail experience and will either have previously held a Supervisory or Team Leader position or feel they are ready to take the next step on their career by moving into a Supervisory role. They will be friendly, outgoing and enjoy working with the public as well as being physically fit as the position will involve working outside in all weathers looking after and re-displaying the stock. Excellent spoken & written English are essential.
As well as being based in a great out of town location with ample free parking we also offer staff discount on our full range of products, a uniform and free enrolment into our healthcare scheme. E-mail your CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting PLANT SUPER in the subject line.
TITLE: Plant Area Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Outside plant dept.
REPORTING TO: Plant Area Manager
- Increasing Sales
- Face to Face Selling
- Following up Customer Enquiries
- Ensure area is well stocked either from replenishing from our stores area or working with the Department Manager to ensure the right levels of stock are being purchased to meet demand. Placing orders with Suppliers under the direction of the Department Manager.
- Getting the “right” range by working with the Department Manager and passing on Customer feedback and their own suggestions on which products are working, not working or missing.
- Presentation, Merchandising, appropriate signage and accurate pricing
- Utilise targeted Promo’s, Discounts and Linked/Companion Products along with producing the appropriate signage and using display techniques to increase sales.
- Ensure all products are clearly priced and to ensure any system price updates are reflected on the plant area price labelling in a timely manner.
- Ensure stock accuracy and tackle causes of stock balance errors
- Ensure correct stock rotation procedures are in place to avoid wastage due to “out of date” stock.
- Reduction of “waste” and its accurate & timely recording
- Minimise “own use” and its accurate & timely recording
- Stock counting program & accuracy
- To deputise for the Department Manager in their absence.
- The guidance, management and motivation of your team is key to achieving the above as is your own ability to organise and manage your own workload and time.
Customer Service & Sales:
- To ensure you and your Team assist customers in selecting the right products for their needs.
- To ensure you and your Team provide customers with information on and the benefits of all our range of products.
- To ensure you and your Team approach every Customer entering the Department in a friendly and welcoming manner and offer them assistance.
- To be the first point of contact in the Department for any customer complaints, escalating these up to your Department Manager or Retail Manager if required.
- To build up your own and your team’s knowledge of the products sold in the department to enable a strong sales performance.
- To ensure you and your Team actively promote items identified by the Manager as being on offer or that have an upsell or cross sell opportunity.
- To ensure all Customer enquiries and issues are accurately recorded on the logging system by yourself and your Team.
- To ensure you and your Team follow up on all customer contacts to so they know their issue or enquiry is being dealt with and to keep them informed until the issue is resolved.
- To feedback customer requests and orders to the buying team to ensure these are ordered in a timely manner.
- To direct your Team to continually drive sales within the department ensuring budgeted Sales are met or exceeded each week/month.
- To ensure promotional and sale items are positioned in the appropriate areas to entice customers and to increase sales.
- To ensure product margins are maximised by ensuring amended price labels are put in place for price updates as quickly as possible.
Department Presentation & Replenishment:
- To be aware of any items that may go off sale during the day and arrange for extra stock to be brought from the stores to replenish the area.
- To work with your Team to put out additional or new stock ensuring all stock is neatly displayed, bringing stock to the front of the display area as required.
- To feed back to the Department Manager any concerns regarding out of stocks and potential missed sales due to stock availability.
- To ensure the department is wonderfully presented at all times and is fully stocked.
- To work with the Visual Merchandiser when required to keep the presentation of the department in the “Ransoms Style”.
- To ensure that all pricing or offer information is accurate and current producing or requesting additional signage as required.
- To ensure the department is kept swept/weeded, tidy and free of rubbish and obstacles at all times and that all stock is clean and well presented.
- To regularly review the stock levels investigating inaccuracies, establishing the reasons and ensuring that the causes are tackled.
- To work with the Department Manager on the continual clearance of old or slow moving stock so it is sold through before it becomes un-saleable.
- To ensure that the Department’s stock held off the shop floor is kept neat and tidy and that at least one of every item held in the Warehouse is present on the shop floor.
- To ensure date sensitive stock is rotated to prevent items going out of date liaising with the Department Manager to promote these items before they become unsaleable.
- Reduce the occurrences of stock waste and ensure any waste that does occur is accurately recorded.
- Minimise product “own use” and ensure any products used in house are accurately recorded.
- To manage the departments stock counting program ensuring all stock categories are counted at least once per year and fast moving categories counted more often.
- Ensure stock counts are carried out accurately with the necessary preparation and that all variances are checked and explained.
- To manage the workload of the Plant Area Sales Assistants allocating tasks and following up on their progress.
- To motivate and drive the sales assistants to perform to the highest standards on Customer Service, merchandising and housekeeping and to ensure they carry out all tasks assigned to them.
- To lead their team in working in the most efficient way possible.
- To ensure the team is sufficiently trained in all aspects of the department’s workload to maintain adequate cover during the absence or departure of a team member.
- To carefully review the weekly sales figures, highlighting issues and making changes in conjunction with the Department Manager to address any shortfalls in sales and to cash in on any over performing areas.
- To train new and existing staff in their work duties, in the Ransoms Style of Customer Service and about the benefits of our product range.
- To ensure there is a balance of cover for each day, working with the Department Manager on rota’s and holiday planning.
- To manage the departments work plan agreeing this with the Department Management and ensuring the whole team works together to achieve these plans. Ensure that the status of tasks on the plan are updated so the management can review progress.
- To put forward to your manager suggestions for the improvement of the business both in terms of sales and procedures.
- To carry out shop security and anti-theft duties as required by circumstances in line with Company Policies and Training.
- To assist in Deputising for the Department Manager in their absence when requested to do so by the Retail Manager or Directors.
Plant Management :
- To maintain the health of all plants on site ensuring watering, feeding, spraying and trimming meet the agreed standards and specifications and that all documentation and paperwork is completed correctly at the correct time.
- Ensure that all staff take a responsible approach to selling the correct product for the correct conditions ensuring the Customer has a positive view of the Company.
- To manage the site irrigation system to ensure the watering regime for each area is appropriate for the conditions.
- To carry out any other duties which are reasonable and within your capabilities in order to assist the business.
- To comply with all lawful and reasonable instructions of the Company and carry out all duties diligently and to the best of your ability.
- To ensure compliance with Statutory and Company Regulations concerning the health and safety of staff and customers and the maintenance requirements of company equipment
- To do your utmost to promote the interests and reputation of Ransoms and refrain from making any false or misleading statements relating to the Company, its suppliers or customers.
- To champion the Company at all times and to not allow your comments or actions to damage the Company’s reputation in any way.
- To ensure that your actions or lack of actions do not cause any damage or harm to the Company’s employees, customers, property or equipment