Great opportunity for someone with a love of houseplants and a creative eye to join our Houseplant section with the aim of learning from the current Supervisor how to run the department successfully.
This is a full-time permanent position based on a 37.5 hour week over 5 days in a great out of town location with ample free parking. The hourly pay rate for this position is £10.25. After successful completion of the 3-month probationary period you will be included in our monthly bonus scheme which equates to an extra £1 for every hour worked.
Applicants will be keen to learn about houseplants and ideally have previous Sales or Customer Service experience. They must be friendly, outgoing and enjoy working with the public as well as being physically fit as the position involves watering, displaying plants and pots. Spoken & written English are required. E-mail your CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Quoting HPLANTS in the subject line.
To care for and display our houseplant and pot selection to the highest standards and to assist our customers in finding the right plant or pot for their requirements.
- Customer Service – To greet and approach all customers entering the department to offer assistance with choosing the correct plant or pot for their requirements. To ensure customers are aware of any relevant offers and accessories available. Recording and following up on customer enquires or orders using our contact management systems.
- Plant Care & Display – To water plants correctly, prune and deadhead where necessary and to keep them looking at their best. To ensure all items are correctly and clearly priced. Ensure the department is clean, tidy, and beautifully presented at all times.
- Stock Management – To check off incoming deliveries to ensure the correct stock has been received and to replenish the shop floor stock of pots and accessories from the warehouse ensuring the department is always fully stocked. To carry out regular stock counts to maintain stock accuracy.
- Plant Ordering – To assist the Supervisor with the weekly ordering of stock and the setting of selling prices for new stock items.
Skills and knowledge Required
- A love of plants and some experience in looking after them.
- Be confident about approaching and talking to customers.
- Ideally would have some retail experience but this is not essential.
- Highly focused on providing Great Customer Service
- Numerate & accurate
- Computer Literate (basic)
- Attractive Salary.
- Inclusion in our Revenue Share Bonus Scheme.
- Free Health Care Plan Membership.
- 20 days holiday increasing to 25 with length of service.
- Staff discount within the Garden Centre, Tearooms & Potting Shed.
- Free on-site parking
- Friendly family run business
Ransom Garden Centre is a family business, in the heart of leafy St. Martin, established in 1966 by David and Janet Ransom. The business has grown significantly over the years and is now run by Katherine and Rebecca Ransom.
We employ approximately 60 in the Garden Centre with an additional 25 in the Restaurant and The Potting Shed Gift Shop.
Over the last 55 years the business has evolved significantly into a gardening and lifestyle destination retailer, and we are very proud of our knowledgeable team who continue to offer islanders exciting, quality product and great service.