We have a rare opportunity to join our back-office team as an Assistant Buyer. In this interesting and varied position, you will learn from our Buyers how to select and replenish a wide range of products for our Gifts, Interiors & Clothing Department and The Potting Shed Gift Shop. Working with the other Buyers and Sales Supervisors you will calculate replenishment orders as well as helping to manage suppliers, new product introductions and reviewing prices & margins.
This role would suit someone with experience of working within a retail environment with a similar range of products and who would now like to advance their career. If you are well organised, time efficient, a great communicator, have excellent numeracy skills and are a confident user of Excel and Outlook this may be the perfect job for you.
The basic annual salary for this position is £25,350. After successful completion of the 3-month probationary period you will be included in our monthly bonus scheme which equates to an extra £1 for every hour worked (approx. £1,800pa).
We are looking for candidates with drive and enthusiasm who are able to work on their own initiative to deliver results. The position is based on a 37.5 hour working week between Monday and Friday but some flexibility in working hours is possible.
Please apply by e-mailing your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com quoting BUYING.
To work with the other Buyers selecting and ordering products for our Gifts, Interiors & Clothing Department, and the Potting Shed gift shop. This will involve building strong relationships with suppliers, utilising our Excel based replenishment system to calculate orders and working with in-house teams to ensure stock arrives on time and is allocated the appropriate space within the shop. You will also ensure these products are setup on our systems and take responsibility for managing their life cycle.
- Supplier Management – Meet with new and existing suppliers to discuss their product ranges and agree terms and conditions. Ensure suppliers provide all required information and price updates to enable us to maintain the accuracy of our stock systems.
- Stock Ordering – To place orders for stock based on calculated demand and shop floor feedback taking into account current stock levels and agreed stock holding parameters. To work with the Head Buyer on range planning and selection of new and replacement products.
- Product Range Management – To review the performance of all products drawing up plans to phase out poor performing items, ensuring better selling products and seasonal products are purchased more frequently and at the right time. To review, margins being achieved, supplier special offers and promotions and advise the Head Buyer of any price changes required.
- Product File Maintenance – To ensure all new products are setup on our EPOS system making sure all attributes are correctly entered to enable the products to be booked in and sold without problems. To regularly update prices based on information provided by suppliers so as to ensure we are always working with accurate pricing information.
- Liaison with Shop Floor Team – To regularly meet and discuss ranges, customer requests and items on order with the shop floor team. To keep the shop floor team informed of arriving stock and agree the positioning of these products with them to maximize sales.
Skills and knowledge Required.
- Good basic Excel Skills including sorting, cut & paste and basic formulas.
- Ideally experience working in a retail environment with a similar product range.
- Highly numerate & accurate
- Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure.
- Highly focused on delivering results.
- Great communication/interpersonal skills
- Attractive Salary.
- Inclusion in our Revenue Share Bonus Scheme.
- Some flexibility in working hours is available.
- Free Health Care Plan Membership.
- 20 days holiday increasing to 25 with length of service.
- Staff discount within the Garden Centre, Tearooms & Potting Shed.
- Free on-site parking
- Friendly family run business
Ransom Garden Centre is a family business, in the heart of leafy St. Martin, established in 1966 by David and Janet Ransom. The business has grown significantly over the years and is now run by Katherine and Rebecca Ransom.
We employ approximately 60 in the Garden Centre with an additional 25 in the Restaurant and The Potting Shed Gift Shop. Over the last 55 years the business has evolved significantly into a gardening and lifestyle destination retailer, and we are very proud of our knowledgeable team who continue to offer islanders exciting, quality product and great service.